|Dr. Ying ZHENG 鄭穎|
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences
University of Macau
- B.Sc., Peking University
- M.Phil., The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Ph.D., The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Visiting Fellow, University of Cambridge, 2016
Ph.D Course: Advanced Pharmaceutics (CMED 805)
M.Sc. Courses: Pharmaceutical Science (CMED 718)
Biostatistics (CMED 7018)
- Formulation study on poorly-water soluble APIs (BCS II & IV) in Chinese Medicine, e.g. nanocrystals, nanoemulsions, , solid dispersion etc.;
- Topical delivery of poorly-water soluble drugs to treat psoriasis;
- Study transport and integrity of particles across biological barriers on normal and disease models, e.g. Intestinal barrier, blood brain barrier, skin barrier etc.;
- Crystal engineering on APIs in Chinese Medicine, e.g. polymorphism, cocrystals;
- TCM product development
We are looking for Master & PhD students, Research Assistant and Postdoc Fellow to join our research group.
Publications in the recent 5 years (*corresponding author):
- Yuan He, Yingmin Liang , Judith Choi Wo Mak, Yonghong Liao, Ting Li, Ru Yan, Hai-Feng Li, Ying Zheng*. Size effect of curcumin nanocrystals on dissolution, airway mucosa penetration, lung tissue distribution and absorption by pulmonary delivery. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces (in press).
- Tongkai Chen, Bing He, Jingsong Tao, Yuan He, Hailiang Deng, Xueqing Wang, Ying Zheng*. Application of Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET) technique to elucidate intracellular and In Vivo biofate of nanomedicines. Advanced drug delivery reviews, 2019 Mar;143:177-205 (Invited Review).
- Yuan He, Yingmin Liang, RunHan, Wan-Liang Lu, Judith Choi WoMak*, YingZheng*. Rational particle design to overcome pulmonary barriers for obstructive lung diseases therapy. Journal of Controlled Release, 2019 Nov;314:48-61 (Review).
- Li-Min Mu, Lei Liu, Rui Liu, Jia-Lun Duan, Shuang Ma, Xue-Qi Li, Yi-Nuo Cui, Zhan-Bo Su, Xiao Zhang, Jian-Xing Hu, Ying Xie, Ying Zheng & Wan-Liang Lu. Development of functional dendrisomes based on a single molecule of polyesterbenzylether dendrimer and their application in cancer stem cell therapy. NPG Asia Materials, 2019 Jul;11(1):34.
- Shikang Meng, Lin Sun, Lun Wang, Zibei Lin, Zeyu Liu, Long Xi, Zhenping Wang, Ying Zheng*. Loading of water-insoluble celastrol into niosome hydrogels for improved topical permeation and anti-psoriasis activity. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2019 Oct;182:110352.
- Jinsong Tao, Shing Fung Chow, Ying Zheng*. Application of flash nanoprecipitation to fabricate poorly water-soluble drug nanoparticles. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B, 2019 Jan;9:4-18 (Invited review).
- Zhengzheng Zhou, Mónica Calatayud*, Julia Contreras-García, Liang Li, Henry HY Tong, Ying Zheng*. X-ray Diffraction and Theoretical Calculation-Supported Formation of Polymorphic Cocrystals Discovered through Thermal Methods: A Case Study. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2019 Oct;108:3340-3347.
- Shikang Meng, Zibei Lin, Yan Wang, Zhenping Wang, Ping Li, Ying Zheng*. Psoriasis therapy by Chinese medicine and modern agents. Chinese Medicine, 2018 Dec;13(1):16 (Invited review).
- Xiaoning Song, Rui Li, Hailiang Deng, Ye Li, Yanan Cui, Hua Zhang, Wenbing Dai, Bing He, Ying Zheng, Xueqing Wang, Qiang Zhang. Receptor mediated transcytosis in biological barrier: The influence of receptor character and their ligand density on the transmembrane pathway of active-targeting nanocarriers. Biomaterials, 2018 Oct;180:78-90.
- Lin Sun, Zeyu Liu, Zibei Lin, Dongmei Cun, Henry HY Tong, Ru Yan, Ruibing Wang, Ying Zheng*. Comparison of normal versus imiquimod-induced psoriatic skin in mice for penetration of drugs and nanoparticles. International journal of nanomedicine, 2018 Sep;13: 5625.
- Liandi Chi, Lingxiao Chen, Jiwen Zhang, Jing Zhao, Shaoping Li, Ying Zheng*. Development and application of bio-sample quantification to evaluate stability and pharmacokinetics of inulin-type fructo-oligosaccharides from Morinda Officinalis. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis, 2018 Jul;156: 125-132.
- Ye Li, Tongkai Chen, Xiaoqing Miao, Xiang Yi, Xueqing Wang, Haitao Zhao, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Ying Zheng*. Zebrafish: a promising in vivo model for assessing the delivery of natural products, fluorescence dyes and drugs across the blood-brain barrier. Pharmacological Research, 2017 Nov; 125: 246-257 (Review).
- Ye Li, Xiaoning Song, Xiang Yi, Ruibing Wang, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Xueqing Wang*, Ying Zheng*. Zebrafish: a visual model to evaluate the biofate of transferrin receptor-targeted 7peptide-decorated coumarin 6 micelles. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2017 Nov 8;9(44):39048-39058.
- Tongkai Chen, Ye Li, Chuwen Li, Xiang Yi, Ruibing Wang, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Ying Zheng*. Pluronic P85/F68 Micelles of Baicalein Could Interfere with Mitochondria to Overcome MRP2-Mediated Efflux and Offer Improved Anti-Parkinsonian Activity. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2017 Oct 2;14(10):3331-3342.
- Tongkai Chen, Jian Li, Ting Chen, Changquan Calvin Sun*, Ying Zheng*. Tablets of Multi-Unit Pellet System for Controlled Drug Delivery. J Control Release. 2017 Jul 31;262:222-231 (Review).
- Ye Li, Xiaoqing Miao, Tongkai Chen, Xiang Yi, Ruibing Wang, Haitao Zhao, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Xueqing Wang, Ying Zheng*. Zebrafish as a visual and dynamic model to study transport of nanosized drug delivery systems across the biological barriers. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2017 Aug;156:227-235,.
- Lin Sun, Zeyu Liu, Lun Wang, Dongmei Cun, Henry HY Tong, Ru Yan, Xin Chen, Ruibing Wang, Ying Zheng*. Enhanced topical penetration, system exposure and anti-psoriasis activity of two particle-sized, curcumin-loaded PLGA nanoparticles in hydrogel. Journal of Controlled Release. 2017 May; 254:44-54.
- Tongkai Chen, Chuwen Li, Ye Li, Xiang Yi, Ruibing Wang, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Ying Zheng*. Small-sized mPEG-PLGA Nanoparticles of Schisantherin A with Sustained Release for Enhanced Brain Uptake and Anti-Parkinsonian Activity. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2017 Mar;9(11):9516-9527.
- Chao Bi, Xiao Qing Miao, Sing Fung Chow, Wen Jin Wu, Ru Yan, YH Liao, Albert Hee-Lum Chow, Ying Zheng*. Particle size effect of curcumin nanosuspensions on cytotoxicity, cellular internalization, in vivo pharmacokinetics and biodistribution. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2017 Apr;13(3):943–953
- Tongkai Chen, Chuwen Li, Ye Li, Xiang Yi, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Ying Zheng*. Oral Delivery of a Nanocrystal Formulation of Schisantherin A with Improved Bioavailability and Brain Delivery for the Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease. Molecular Pharmaceutics 2016 Oct;13(11):3864–3875.
- Zhengzheng Zhou, Wanying Li, Wei-Jhe Sun, Tongbu Lu, Henry H. Y. Tong, Changquan Calvin Sun*, Ying Zheng*. Resveratrol Cocrystals with Enhanced Solubility and Tabletability. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2016 Jul;509:391-9.
- Xiaoqing Miao, Ye Li, Xueqing Wang, Simon MY Lee, Ying Zheng*. Transport Mechanism of Coumarin 6 Nanocrystal In MDCKII Monolayer and Larval Zebrafish. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2016, 8(20):12620-30.
- Zhengzheng Zhou, Hok Man Chan, Herman H. Y. Sung, Henry H. Y. Tong*, Ying Zheng*. Identification of New Cocrystal Systems with Stoichiometric Diversity of Salicylic Acid Using Thermal Methods. Pharm. Res. 2016; 33(4):1030-9 (cover page).
- Chen Chen, Lisha Wang, Fangrui Cao, Xiaoqing Miao, Tongkai Chen, Qi Chang, Ying Zheng*. Formulation of 20(S)-protopanaxadiol nanocrystals to improve oral bioavailability and brain delivery. Int. J. Pharm. 2016; 497:239-47.
- Lu Wang, Yafang Wang, Xueqing Wang, Lin Sun, Zhengzheng Zhou, Jinjian Lu*, Ying Zheng*. Encapsulation of Low Lipophilic and Slightly Water-Soluble Dihydroartemisinin in PLGA Nanoparticles with Phospholipid to Enhance Encapsulation Efficiency and In vitro Bioactivity. J. Microencapsulation 2015 Dec 1:1-10.
- Miao Xiaoqing, Zhou Jing, Li Jian, Liao Yonghong*, Zheng Ying*, Chinese Medicine in Inhalation Therapy: A Review of Clinical Application and Formulation Development. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2015;21(27):3917-31 (Invited review).
- Yancai Wang, Ju Song, Shing Fung Chow, Albert H. L. Chow* Ying Zheng*. Particle size tailoring of ursolic acid nanosuspensions for improved anticancer activity by controlled antisolvent precipitation. Int. J. Pharm. 2015 Oct 15;494(1):479-89.
- Xiaoqing Miao, Ye Li, Ian Wyman, Simon M. Y. Lee, Donal H. Macartney, Ying Zheng* and Ruibing Wang*. Enhanced in vitro and in vivo uptake of a hydrophobic model drug coumarin-6 in the presence of curubituril. Med Chem Commun June 2015 6:1370-1374.
- Sun Lin, Liu Zeyu, Cun Dongmei, Henry Tong HY, Zheng Ying*. Application of Nano- and Micro-particles on the Topical Therapy of Skin-related Immune Disorders. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2015;21(19):2643-67 (Invited review).
- Zhengzheng Zhou, Henry H. Y. Tong*, Liang Li, Fanny L. Y. Shek, Yang Lv, Ying Zheng*. Synthesis, characterization and thermal analysis of ursolic acid solid forms. Crystal Research & Technology June 50(7), 538–548 (2015).
- Zhao Y, Zhou J, Liao YH, Zheng Y. Inhaled traditional Chinese medicine for respiratory diseases. Advances in Pulmonary Drug Delivery. CRC press.
- Chow, AHL, Tong, HY, & Zheng, Y. (06/2007). Stability Assessment and Formulation Characterization, In Shayne C. Gad (Ed). Handbook of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology. (pp. 371-416). USA: John Wiley & Sons.
- University of Macau: “Inhalable Functional Nanocrystals of Poorly Water-soluble Active Components in Chinese Medicine for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Therapy” (2020 – 2021).
- University of Macau: “Establishment of in-vivo quantification method of drugs as released and non-released forms after delivery of sustained-release nanocarriers and study on their relationship with pharmacodynamics” (2017 – 2020).
- University of Macau: “Purification, in vivo antidepressant disorder activity, transport and pharmacokinetic evaluations of inulin-type fructooligosaccharides in Morinda officinalis after oral administration” (2017 – 2019).
- University of Macau: “Development of Novel Targeted Nanoparticles with Immunosuppressive Chinese Medicine to Inhibit Skin Immune-response for Topical Therapy of Psoriasis” (2014 – 2017).
- University of Macau: “Novel Nanoparticle Development of Active Components in Herbal Medicines and Their Permeations across Blood-Brain Barrier on Cell Monolayers, Zebrafish and Rat Models” (2013 – 2016).
- FDCT: “Topical delivery of Chinese medicine to inhibit skin immune-response for psoriasis” (2019-2021).
- FDCT: “Solid State Characterization of Poorly Water-soluble Active Components in Chinese Medicine” (2014-2016).
- 國家自然科學基金海外及港澳合作基金: “細胞和斑馬魚模型評價納米製劑的跨膜轉運機理和體內過程” (2016.1 – 2017.12).
- NSFC: “Transport Mechanism and In-vivo Biodistribution Study of Nanomedicine in Polarized Epithelial Cell Monolayer and Larval Zebrafish (No. 81528021, 2016 – 2017).
- ERASMUS MUNDUS, ERUASICAT: Advanced Education European-Asiatic Exchange Progromme in Materials Science and Catalysis. (No. 552067-EM-1-2014-1-ES-ERA MUNDUS-EMA22, 2014 – 2018, Academic coordinator of UM).
- (Excellent Poster) Zibei Lin, Long Xi, Jinsong Tao, Shikang Meng, Ying Zheng. “Trafficking of Different-Sized PLGA Nanoparticles in Imiquimod-induced Psoriasis Mice Model. Chinese Pharmaceutical Association”. Symposium of 13th Chinese Pharmaceutical Conference, October 11-13, Yantai, China.
- (2nd Award) Liandi Chi, Zibei Lin, Lingxiao Chen, Guoxing Huang, W.L. Wendy Hsiao, Jiwen Zhang, Jing Zhao, Shaoping Li, Ying Zheng. “In vivo antidepressant disorder activity, transportation and pharmacokinetic evaluations of inulin-type fructooligosaccharides in Morinda officinalis”. 2018 Postgraduate Symposium on Chinese Medical Sciences, International Society for Chinese Medicine, November 28-30, 2018, Macau, China.
- (2nd Award, Oral presentation) Yuan He. “Size Effect of Curcumin Nanocrystals on Airway Mucosa Penetration, Lung Tissue Distribution and Pharmacokinetics Studies by Pulmonary Delivery”. The 12th Chinese Pharmaceutical Conference 2018, Nov. 30–Dec. 2, Guangzhou, China.
- (Best Poster Award) Meng Shikang et al., “Loading Water-insoluble Celastrol by Niosome Hydrogel to Improve Topical Penetration and Anti-psoriasis Activity”. Merit for the poster presentation competition at the International Conference on Medicinal Plants and Bioeconomy & The 1st Sino-CPLP Symposium on Natural Products and Biodiversity Resources, 22nd-24nd Aug., 2018, Macau.
- (Travel Grant Award) Chi Liandi et al., “Transport, stability and pharmacokinetic evaluations of inulin-type fructooligosaccharides in Morinda officinalis”. 16th CGCM Meeting, 18-20 Aug., 2017, Guangzhou, China.
- (3rd prize) Liu Zeyu et al., “Triptolide-loaded microemulsion hydrogel overcome psoriatic skin barrier with deeper but fewer drug penetration through skin appendages”. The 2nd Topical Drug Delivery Conference Organized by World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies, November 18-20, 2016, Guilin, China.
- (3rd prize) Sun Lin et al., “In vitro penetration of tretinoin cream through psoriatic mouse skin”. The 1st Topical Drug Delivery Conference Organized by World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies, 23-25 Oct., 2015, Beijing, China.
- (Travel Grant Award) Chen Tongkai et al., “Small-sized mPEG-PLGA nanoparticles of Schisantherin A with sustained release for enhanced brain uptake and anti-Parkinsonian efficacy”. 15th Meeting of Consortium for Globalization of Chinese Medicine (CGCM), August 22-26, 2016, Taipei.
- (Travel Grant Award) Chen Chen et al., “Nanocrystals Development of BCS II class compound 20(s)-protopanaxadiol to Improve Its Oral Bioavailability and Brain Drug Delivery for Intracranial Tumors Therapy”. 14th CGCM Meeting, 17-20 Aug., 2015, London, Canada.
- (Travel Grant Award) Wang Lu et al., “Development of sustained-release PLGA nanoparticles with enhanced encapsulation efficiency loaded with dihydroartemisinin-phospholipid complex for cancer therapy”. 13th CGCM Meeting, 27-29 Aug., 2014, Beijing.
- (Poster Presentation Award) Yang Xiao et al., “Nanosuspension Development of Scutellarein – a Prodrug of Scutellarin for Oral Delivery”. Poster presentation at the 2013 AAPS@China Symposium, 17-18th Aug., 2013, Hong Kong.
- (Poster Presentation Award) Song Ju et al., “Preparation and in-vitro Anticancer Activity Evaluations of Ursolic Acid Nanosuspensions with Different Particles Size”. Poster presentation at the 2013 AAPS@China Symposium, 17-18th Aug., 2013, Hong Kong .
Editorial board member of Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science
Add-hoc reviewers of several international referred journals: ACS: AMI; Chem. Comm.; J. Pharm. Sci.; Pharm. Res.; Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces; International Journal of Pharmaceutics; Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology; AAPS PharmSciTech; Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy; Acta Pharmacologica Sinica; J. Microencapsulation; Chinese Pharmaceutical Journal etc.
Dr. Zheng’s group in 2019
XI Long, CHENG Yaxin, HAN Run, XU Meng, Dr. ZHENG, QIU Fen, LIN Zibei, HE Yuan, TAO Jinsong, WEI Zhengjie
|UM News: Excellent Poster.|
LIN Zibei, Chinese Pharmaceutical Association
Symposium of 13th Chinese Pharmaceutical Conference
|UM News: Application of Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET) technique to elucidate intracellular and In Vivo biofate of nanomedicines “Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews”|
University of Macau
Macao, China, Room 6010, 6/F, N22