State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences
(# authors contributed equally * Corresponding author)
- Chen L, Chen ZX, Zhang XX, Tey SK, Xia ZY, Yam JWP, Mao XW*. Propofol inhibition of hepatocellular carcinoma via prevention of reactive oxygen species induced Heme Oxygenase 1 nuclear translocation. Under revision.
- Lee KW, Yam JWP, Mao XW*. Dendritic Cell Vaccines: A Shift from Conventional Approach to New Generations. Cells, 2023, 12, 2147. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells12172147
- Li S, Delvecchio M, Ramkumar K, Mao XW, Sun XD, Guo SZ. Editorial: Clinical and genetic determinants of diabetes and complications. Front. Endocrinol., 04 July 2023
- Xu Y, Yao Y, Liang Y, Zhang X, Mao XW, Tey SK, Wong SWK, Yeung CLS, Ng TM, Wong MYM, Che CM, Lee TKW, Gao Y, Cui Y, Yam JWP*. Clathrin light chain A-enriched small extracellular vesicles remodel microvascular niche to induce hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles 2023, 12(8):e12359.
- Wong SWK, Tey SK, Mao XW, Fung HL, Xiao ZJ, Wong DKH, Mak LY, Yuen MF, Ng IOL, Yun JP, Gao Y, Yam JWP*. Small extracellular vesicle-derived vWF induces a positive feedback loop between tumour and endothelial cells to promote angiogenesis and metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Advanced Science 2023, 30:e2302677.
- Ruan ML, Liu Y, Zhang C, Mao XW, Hu D, Lok CN*, Yam JWP, Che CM*. Dihydroartemisinin engages liver fatty acid binding protein and suppresses metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma growth. Chemical Communications (Camb) 2023, 59(19):2747-2750.
- Xiao XJ, Yeung CLS, Yam JWP, Mao XW*. An update in the role of complement in hepatocellular carcinoma. Frontiers in Immunology 2022, 13:1007382.
- Tey SK, Wong SWK, Yeung CLS, Li JYK, Mao XW, Chung CYS, Yam JWP*. Liver cancer cells with nuclear MET overexpression release translation regulatory protein-enriched extracellular vesicles exhibit metastasis promoting activity. Journal of Extracellular Biology 2022, 1:e39.
- Tey SK, Wong SWK, Chan JYT, Mao XW, Ng TH, Yeung CLS, Leung Z, Fung HL, Tang AHN, Wong DKH, Mak LY, Yuen MF, Sin CF, Ng IOL, Ma SKY, Lee TKW, Cao PH, Zhong K, Gao Y, Yun JP, Yam JWP*. Patient pIgR-enriched extracellular vesicles drive cancer stemness, tumorigenesis and metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Hepatology 2022, 76(4): 883-895.
- Mei P, Tey SK, Wong SWK, Ng TH, Mao XW, Yeung CLS, Xu Y, Yu L, Huang Q, Cao P, Yam JWP*, Gao Y*. Actin Related Protein 2/3 Complex Subunit 2-enriched extracellular vesicles drive liver cancer metastasis. Hepatology International, 2022, 16(3):603-613.
- Liu BHM, Tey SK, Mao XW, Ma APY, Yeung CLS, Wong SWK, Ng TH, Xu Y, Yao Y, Fung EYM, Tan KV, Khong PL, Ho DWH, Ng IOL, Tang AHN, Cai SH, Yun JP, Yam JWP*. TPI1-reduced extracellular vesicles mediated by Rab20 downregulation promotes aerobic glycolysis to drive hepatocarcinogenesis. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles 2021, 10:e12135.
- Ma AP, Yeung CL, Tey SK, Mao XW, Wong SW, Ng TM, Ko FC, Kwong EM, Tang HM, Ng IO, Cai SH, Yun JP and Yam JW. Suppression of ACADM-mediated fatty acid oxidation promotes hepatocellular carcinoma via aberrant Cav1/SREBP-1 signaling. Cancer Res 2021, doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-20-3944 .
- Mao XW, Zhou LY, Tey, SK, Ma AP, Yeung CL, Ng TH, Wong SW, Liu BH, Fung YM, Patz Jr EF, Cao PH, Gao Y, Yam JW. Tumor extracellular vesicle-derived Complement Factor H promotes tumorigenesis and metastasis by inhibiting complement-dependent cytotoxicity of tumor cells. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/jev2.12031
- Mao XW#, Tey SK#, Yeung CL, Kwong EM, Fung YM, Chung CYS, Mak LY, Wong DK, Yuen MF, Ho JC, Pang H, Wong MP, Leung CO, Lee TK, Ma V, Cho WC, Cao PH, Xu X, Gao Y, Yam JW. Nidogen 1-enriched extracellular vesicles facilitate extrahepatic metastasis of liver cancer by activating pulmonary fibroblasts to secrete tumor necrosis factor receptor 1. Adv Sci 2020, doi: 10.1002/advs.202002157
- Leung Z, Ko FC, Tey SK, Kwong EM, Mao XW, Liu BM, Ma AP, Fung YM, Che CM, Wong DK, Lai CL, Ng IO, Yam JW. Galectin-1 promotes hepatocellular carcinoma and the combined therapeutic effect of OTX008 galectin-1 inhibitor and sorafenib in tumor cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 2019, 38:423.
- Mao XW, Tey SK, Ko FCF, Kwong EM, Gao Y, Ng IO, Cheung ST, Guan XY, Yam JW. C-terminal truncated HBx protein activates caveolin-1/LRP6/β-catenin/FRMD5 axis in promoting hepatocarcinogenesis. Cancer Lett 2019, 444:60-69.
- Ge ZD, Lian QQ, Mao XW, Xia ZY. Current status and challenges of NRF2 as a potential therapeutic target for diabetic cardiomyopathy. Int Heart J 2019, 60:512-520.
- Wang CY, Li HB, Wang S, Mao XW, Yan D, Wong SS, Xia ZY, Irwin M. Repeated non-invasive limb ischemic preconditioning confers cardioprotection through PKC-ԑ/STAT3 signaling in diabetic Rats. Cell Physiol Biochem 2018, 45:2107-2121.
- Tey SK, Tse EY, Mao XW, Ko FC, Wong AS, Lo RC, Ng IO, Yam JW. Nuclear Met promotes hepatocellular carcinoma tumorigenesis and metastasis by upregulation of TAK1 and activation of NF-κB pathway. Cancer Lett 2017, 411:150-161.
- Mao XW, Wong SY, Tse EY, Ko FC, Tey SK, Yeung YS, Man K, Lo RC, Ng IO, Yam JW. Mechanisms through which hypoxia-induced caveolin-1 drives tumorigenesis and metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res 2016, 76:7242-7253.
- Qiao SG#, Mao XW#, Wang Y#, Lei SQ, Liu YN, Wang TT, Wong, GT, Cheung, CW, Xia ZY, Irwin MG. Remifentanil preconditioning reduces post-ischaemic myocardial infarction and improves left ventricular performance via activation of the JAK2/STAT3 signal pathway and subsequent inhibition of GSK3β in rats. Crit Care Med 2016, 44:e131-e145.
- Xu J, Li H, Irwin MG, Xia ZY, Mao XW, Lei S, Wong GT, Hung V, Cheung CW, Fang X, Clanachan AS, Xia Z. Propofol ameliorates hyperglycemia-induced cardiac hypertrophy and dysfunction via heme oxygenase-1/STAT3 signaling pathway in rats. Crit Care Med 2014, 42:e583-594.
- Zhang A, Xinjin Chi X, Luo G, Hei Z, Xia H, Luo C, Wang Y, Mao XW, Xia Z. Mast cell stabilization alleviates acute lung injury after orthotopic autologous liver transplantation in rats by downregulating inflammation. PloS ONE 2013, 8:e75262.
- Mao XW, Wang TT, Liu YN, Irwin MG, Gao X, Lei SQ, Qiao SG, Xu Y, Ng KF, Vanhoutte PM, Xia ZY. HIF-1/HO-1 signalling in N-acetylcysteine and allopurinol mediated protection against myocardial ischemia injury in diabetic rats. PloS One 2013, 8:e68949.
- Liu YN, Lei SQ, Gao X, Mao XW, Wang TT, Wong GT, Vanhoutte PM, Irwin MG, Xia ZY. PKCβ inhibition with ruboxistaurin reduces oxidative stress and attenuates left ventricular hypertrophy and dysfunction in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Clin Sci 2012, 122:161-73.
- General Research Fund (Project No.: 17100123) Title: Secretory Nidogen 1 triggers the endocytic trafficking of β5 integrin in hypoxia induced liver cancer metastasis. Project period: 2023.7.1-2026.6.30;
- Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) (Project No.: 7182096) Title: Targeting exosome Nidogen-1 as a potential treatment of liver cancer. Project period: 2020.4.1-2023.3.30;
- Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) (Project No.: 05162256) Title: Inhibition of reactive oxygen species upregulation of caveolin-1 by propofol contributes to the suppression of hepatocellular carcinoma growth and aggressiveness. Project period: 2018.5.1-2020.10.30;
- National Natural Science Foundation Young Scientist Fund Title: Activation of AdipoR1/STAT3 signaling plays a central role in propofol postconditioning mediated cardioprotection against myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury in diabetic subjects. Project period: 2017.1.1-2019.12.31;
US Provisional 63/014,179
“Nidogen 1 as a diagnostic marker and therapeutic target of hepatocellular carcinoma”
- Guest Editor of Frontiers in Endocrinology (2022-)Ad-hoc reviewer of more than 10 peer-reviewed academic journals, including Chinese medicine，Journal of Pathology, Advanced Science, Journal of extracellular vesicles and Hepatology.