Rui Bing WANG 王瑞兵, PhD, FRSC
Director of Global Affairs Office
Group Webpage: https://rwang.sklqrcm.um.edu.mo/
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Queen’s University, Canada
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Gifted Class), Jilin University, China
|GEST021||Modern Drug Discovery||B.Sc. Course|
|CMED7013||Emerging Materials in Clinical Medicine||M.Sc. Course|
|CMED8002||Advanced Pharmaceutics||PhD Course|
- Supramolecular Medicine
We are interested in supramolecular interactions between macrocyclic molecules (such as cucurbiturils, cyclodextrins, pillararenes and calixarenes) and synthetic/natural drugs, with intentions to explore the beneficial roles of these macrocycles as emerging excipients for enhancing the water solubility, stability, transcellular activity, and ultimately therapeutic efficacy with reduced side effects of guest medicines. In some cases, these macrocycles may act as reversal agents (or antidotes) towards toxic effects of guest drugs. Our collaborators include colleagues here at UM, as well as external scientists from Canada, France, USA, Hong Kong and mainland China.
- Supramolecular Biomaterials
We intend to incorporate high potency ingredients (e.g. particularly those of natural products) into stimuli-responsive, supramolecularly self-assembled materials for various biomedical applications such as precision medicine and controlled drug release for targeted therapy. These material matrices include natural polysaccharides, natural and synthetic macrocycles and their derivatives. By placing real-world clinical applications as our study aim, we work closely with scientists and clinicians in the region and around the world.
- Biomimetic and Cell-based Drug Delivery
Constantly inspired by Nature and ancient principles of Chinese medicine, we are highly interested in developing biomimetic drug delivery systems and live-cell based drug delivery systems, particularly those based on intracellular and extracellular supramolecular assembly, for improved therapy of a variety of diseases, such as inflammatory diseases, infections and cancers. We have recently proposed the concept of “Supramolecular Cells” (or “Supramolecularly Engineered Cells”), where cells are either intracellularly and/or extracellularly engineered with supramolecular systems, for targeted treatment of a variety of diseases.
Dr. Ruibing Wang has multidisciplinary background and experience in Supramolecular Chemistry, Nanomaterials, Pharmaceutics, and Radiopharmaceuticals. During his PhD studies at Queen’s University, he was among the earliest group of researchers to look into a group of novel macrocyclic molecules, cucurbiturils, and their supramolecular encapsulation of various biomedically relevant molecules for potential biomedical and pharmaceutical applications. Due to his excellent PhD thesis work, he was nominated for “Governor General Gold Medal” and received “Queen’s University Outstanding Thesis in Physical Sciences”. After graduation with PhD degree and a brief postdoctoral stay at Queen’s, he moved to the Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences at the National Research Council (NRC) of Canada as a Research Associate (later promoted to Associate Research Officer) for about two years, where he worked on fluorescent quantum dots development and studied their various applications including bioimaging. He subsequently joined BTG International Canada (formerly known as Nordion, recently acquired by Boston Scientific) as a Senior Scientist, where he had led various innovation and applied research projects around radiopharmaceuticals and interventional medicine development (e.g. TheraSphere). In late 2014, he joined the University of Macau (UM) as an Assistant Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2019. His current research interest is mainly focused on supramolecular medicine, supramolecular biomaterials and supramolecular cytopharmaceuticals. Since joining UM, he has received several prestigious awards including Faculty-Level Academic Award in 2018, Macau Science and Technology Awards (3rd Prize, Natural Science Award) in 2018, Faculty-Level Best Teacher Award in 2019, UM Teaching Excellence Award in 2019, China Macrocyclic Arenes and Supramolecular Chemistry Symposium Rising Star Award in 2019, CCS Chinese Periodic Table of Young Chemist in 2019, Macau Science and Technology Awards (3rd Prize, Technological Invention Award) in 2020, Faculty-Level Outstanding Academic Staff Award in 2021, and 2022 Macau Science and Technology Awards (2nd Prize, Natural Science Award). He was elected Fellow, the Royal Society of Chemistry in Nov. 2020. Thus far, he has published over 210 peer-reviewed SCI papers with a total citation of over 6,900 times and an H-index of 47 (Google Scholar, as of 12/09/2022).
- Cheng Gao, Qingfu Wang, Junyan Li, Cheryl H.T. Kwong, Jianwen Wei, Beibei Xie, Siyu Lu, Simon M. Y. Lee,* and Ruibing Wang,*“In vivo hitchhiking of immune cells by intracellular self-assembly of bacteria-mimetic nanomedicine for targeted therapy of melanoma,” Science Advances, 2022, 8, eabn1805. Selected as Science Advances feature article, with artworks showcased online.
- Cheng Gao, Cheryl H.T. Kwong, Qingfu Wang, Hiotong Kam, Jianwen Wei, Qian Chen, Jian Zhang, Simon M. Y. Lee,* Dayong Gu and Ruibing Wang,* “Surface-engineered chlorella alleviated hypoxic tumor microenvironment for enhanced chemotherapy and immunotherapy of first-line drugs,” Materials Today, 2022, DOI: 10.1016/j.mattod.2022.06.024, in press.
- Ziyi Wang, Chen Sun, Kuikun Yang, Xiaoyuan Chen* and Ruibing Wang*, “Cucurbituril-Based Supramolecular Polymers for Biomedical Applications,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2022, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202206763, in press.
- Kuikun Yang, Zhiqing Yang, Guocan Yu*, Zhihong Nie*, Ruibing Wang*, Xiaoyuan Chen*,“Polyprodrug Nanomedicines: An Emerging Paradigm for Cancer Therapy,” Advanced Materials, 2022, 34, 2107434.
- Meng Xu, Jinsong Tao, Zhengjie Wei, Qian Cheng, Hongmei Yang, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Kathy Qian Luo, Wei Ge, Ruibing Wang,*and Ying Zheng,*,“Visualization of host-guest interactions driven bioorthogonal homing effects at the single cell level in vivo,” Nano Today, 2022, 43, 101450.
- Shuwen Guo, Qiaoxian Huang, Jianwen Wei, Shengpeng Wang, Yitao Wang, Leyong Wang, and Ruibing Wang,* “Efficient Intracellular Delivery of Native Proteins Facilitated by Preorganized Guanidiniums on Pillararene Skeleton,” Nano Today, 2022, 43, 101396. Selected as a front cover article.
- Qian Cheng, Meng Xu, Chen Sun, Kuikun Yang, Zhiqing Yang, Junyan Li, Jun Zheng, Ying Zheng and Ruibing Wang*,“Enhanced antibacterial function of a supramolecular artificial receptor-modified macrophage (SAR-Macrophage),” Materials Horizons, 2022, 9, 934-941. Selected as a front cover article.
- Beibei Xie, Huichao Zhao, Mingju Shui, Yuan-Fu Ding, Chen Sun, Ziyi Wang, Cheng Gao, Guosong Chen, Ruibing Wang,*“Spermine-Responsive Intracellular Self-Aggregation of Gold Nanocages for Enhanced Chemotherapy and Photothermal Therapy of Breast Cancer,” Small, 2022, 18, 2201971. Selected as an inside back cover article.
- Meng Xu, Haidong Zha, Run Han, Yaxin Cheng, Jiamao Chen, Ludan Yue, Ruibing Wang*and Ying Zheng,* “Cyclodextrin-derived ROS-generating nanomedicine with pH-modulated degradability to enhance tumor ferroptosis therapy and chemotherapy,” Small, 2022, 18, 202200330.
- Kuikun Yang, Guocan Yu, Zhiqing Yang, Ludan Yue, Xiangjun Zhang, Chen Sun, Jianwen Wei, Lang Rao, Xiaoyuan Chen,* and Ruibing Wang,*“Supramolecular Polymerization-induced Nanoassemblies for Self-augmented Cascade Chemotherapy and Chemodynamic Therapy of Tumor,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2021, 60, 17570-17578.
- Shuwen Guo, Qiaoxian Huang, Yuan Chen, Jianwen Wei, Jun Zheng, Leyong Wang, Yitao Wang and Ruibing Wang,*“Synthesis and Bioactivity of Guanidinium‐Functionalized Pillararene as a Biofilm Disruptor,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2021, 60, 618-623 (hot paper and frontipiece highlight).
- Xue Yang, Qian Cheng Valerie Monnier, Laurence Charles, Hakim Karoui, Olivier Ouari, Didier Gigmes, Ruibing Wang,* Anthony Kermagoret,* and David Bardelang,* “Guest exchange by a partial energy ratchet in water,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2021, 60, 6617–6623.
- Cheng Gao, Qian Cheng, Junyan Li, Jia Chen, Qingfu Wang, Jianwen Wei, Qiaoxian Huang, Simon M. Y. Lee,* Dayong Gu,* Ruibing Wang,*”Supramolecular macrophage-liposome marriage for cell-hitchhiking delivery and immunotherapy of acute pneumonia and melanoma,” Advanced Functional Materials, 2021, 31, 2102440.
- Kuikun Yang, Guocan Yu, Rui Tian, Zijian Zhou, Hongzhang Deng*, Ling Li, Zhen Yang, Guofeng Zhang, Dahai Liu, Jianwen Wei, Ludan Yue, Ruibing Wang,*and Xiaoyuan Chen,* “Oxygen-Evolving Manganese Ferrite Nanovesicles for Hypoxia-Responsive Drug Delivery and Enhanced Cancer Chemoimmunotherapy,” Advanced Functional Materials, 2021, 31, 2008078.
- Ludan Yue, Kuikun Yang, Junyan Li, Qian Cheng and Ruibing Wang*“Self-Propelled Asymmetrical Nanomotor for Self-Reported Gas Therapy,” Small, 2021, 17, 202102286.
- Qian Cheng, Ludan Yue, Junyan Li, Cheng Gao, Yuanfu Ding, Chen Sun, Mengze Xu, Zhen Yuan, and Ruibing Wang,* “Supramolecular tropism driven aggregation of nanoparticles in situ for tumor-specific bioimaging and photothermal therapy,” Small, 2021, 17, 2101332.
- Chen Sun, Ziyi Wang, Kuikun Yang, Ludan Yue, Qian Cheng, Yan-long Ma, Siyu Lu, Guosong Chen, and Ruibing Wang,* “Polyamine-responsive Morphological Transformation of a Supramolecular Peptide for Specific Drug Accumulation and Retention in Cancer Cells,” Small,2021, 17, 202101139.
- Kuikun Yang, Ludan Yue, Zhiqing Yang, Guocan Yu, Lang Rao, Rui Tian, Jianwen Wei, Chen Sun, Xiangjun Zhang, Mengze Xu, Zhen Yuan, Xiaoyuan Chen,* and Ruibing Wang,*“A Hypoxia Responsive Nanoassembly for Tumor Specific Oxygenation and Enhanced Sonodynamic Therapy,” Biomaterials, 2021, 275, 120822.
- Jia Chen, Shengke Li, Zeyu Wang, Yating Pan, Jianwen Wei, Siyu Lu, Qing-Wen Zhang, LianHui Wang and Ruibing Wang* “Synthesis of AIEgen Functionalized Cucurbituril for Subcellular Bioimaging and Synergistic Photodynamic Therapy and Supramolecular Chemotherapy“, Chemical Science,2021, 12, 7727-7734. Selected as a Chem Sci Pick!
- Hang Yin, David Bardelang* and Ruibing Wang,*“Macrocycles and Related Hosts as supramolecular antidotes,” Trends in Chemistry, 2021, 3, 1-4.
- Ludan Yue, Kuikun Yang, Xin-Yue Lou, Ying-Wei Yang* and Ruibing Wang,*“Versatile roles of macrocycles in organic-inorganic hybrid materials for biomedical applications,” Matter, 2020, 3, 1557–1588.
- Chen Sun, Ziyi Wang, Ludan Yue, Qiaoxian Huang, Qian Cheng and Ruibing Wang,*“Supramolecular Induction of Mitochondrial Aggregation and Fusion,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2020, 142, 16523–16527 (featured as a Supplementary Cover Article).
- Qiaoxian Huang, Hong Zhao, Mingju Shui, Dong-Sheng Guo* and Ruibing Wang,*“Heparin Reversal by an Oligoethylene Glycol Functionalized Guanidinocalixarene,” Chemical Science, 2020, 11, 9623-9629.
- Cheng Gao, Qian Cheng, Jianwen Wei, Chen Sun, Siyu Lu, Cheryl H.T. Kwong, Simon M.Y. Lee, Zhiyuan Zhong* and Ruibing Wang,*“Bioorthogonal supramolecular cell-conjugation for targeted hitchhiking drug delivery,” Materials Today, 2020, 40, 9-17 (selected as an Inside Cover Feature Article).
- Xue Yang, Ruibing Wang,*Anthony Kermagoret,* and David Bardelang,* “Oligomeric Cucurbituril Complexes: from Peculiar Assemblies to Emerging Applications,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2020, 132, 21464–21476.
- Cheng Gao, Qiaoxian Huang, Conghui Liu, Cheryl H.T Kwong, Ludan Yue, Jian-Bo Wan, Simon M. Y. Lee* and Ruibing Wang,* “Treatment of atherosclerosis by macrophage-biomimetic nanoparticles via targeted pharmacotherapy and sequestration of proinflammatory cytokines,” Nature Communications, 2020, 11, 2622. Highlighted by Nature Review Cardiology, 2020.
- Chenwen Li, Yang Zhao, Juan Cheng, Jiawei Guo, Qixiong Zhang, Xiangjun Zhang, Jiong Ren, Fengchao Wang, Jun Huang, Houyuan Hu, Ruibing Wang,* and Jianxiang Zhang,* “A Proresolving Peptide Nanotherapy for Site-Specific Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease by Regulating Proinflammatory Microenvironment and Gut Microbiota,” Advanced Science, 2019, 6, 1900610.
- Sébastien Combes, Khoa Truong Tran, Mehmet Menaf Ayhan, Hakim Karoui, Antal Rockenbauer, Alain Tonetto, Valérie Monnier, Laurence Charles, Roselyne Rosas, Stéphane Viel, Didier Siri, Paul Tordo, Sylvain Clair, Ruibing Wang,* David Bardelang,* and Olivier Ouari,* “Triangular regulation of cucurbituril 1:1 complexes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2019, 141, 5897-5907 (selected as a Supplementary Cover Article).
- Cheng Gao, Qiaoxian Huang, Qingping Lan, Yu Feng, Fan Tang, Maggie P.M. Hoi, Jianxiang Zhang, Simon M. Y. Lee,* and Ruibing Wang,* “A user-friendly herbicide derived from photo-responsive supramolecular vesicles,” Nature Communications, 2018, 9, 2967.
- Songling Han, Siyu Chen, Lanlan Li, Jin Li, Huijie An, Hui Tao, Yi Jia, Shan Lu, Ruibing Wang,* and Jianxiang Zhang,* “Multiscale and Multifunctional Emulsions by Host-Guest Interaction-Mediated Self-Assembly,” ACS Central Science, 2018, 4, 600-605 (Banner highlight).
Honors and Awards (selected)
2022 Macau Science and Technology Awards (2nd Prize, Natural Science Award), Macau
2022 Excellent Mentor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship of “Guangdong Maker”
2021 ICMS Outstanding Academic Staff Award, University of Macau
2020 Macau Science and Technology Award (3rd Prize, Technological Invention Award)
2019 Periodic Table of Chinese Young Chemist (Chinese Chemical Society)
2019 China Macrocyclic Arenes and Supramolecular Chemistry Symposium Rising Star Award
2019 University of Macau Teaching Excellence Award
2019 Faculty Level Best Teacher Award, University of Macau
2018 Macau Science and Technology Award (3rd Prize, Natural Science Award)
2018 Faculty Level Academic Award, University of Macau
2013 Business Excellerator Stage Award, BTG plc, Ottawa, Canada
2011 Business Excellerator Sprinter Award, Nordion Inc., Ottawa, Canada
2008 Physical Sciences Outstanding Thesis Award at Queen’s University
2002 Outstanding Graduate of Jilin University
2022 Macao SAR Science and Technology Awards – Scientific and Technological R&D Awards for Postgraduate Students: Chen Sun (PhD Student) and Ziyi Wang (MSc Student)
2020 Macao SAR Science and Technology Awards – Scientific and Technological R&D Awards for Postgraduate Students: Qian Cheng (MSc Student)
2020 UM Macao Postdoctoral Fellowship (aka “Million Dollar Postdoc”): Cheng Gao (PhD Student)
2018 Macao SAR Science and Technology Awards – Scientific and Technological R&D Awards for Postgraduate Students: Xue Yang (MSc Student)
2016 Macao SAR Science and Technology Awards – Scientific and Technological R&D Awards for Postgraduate Students: Huanxian Chen (MSc Student)
2016/2017 Macao SAR Government MSc Student Scholarship: Jess Kuok (MSc Student)
Founding Member and President, Macau Society of Supramolecular Chemistry and Biomaterials (MSSCB), since 2020
Founding Member and Vice President, Macau Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (MSNMMI), since 2016
Council Member, the 1st Board of Specialty Committee of TCM Network Pharmacology of World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies, since 2015
Council Member, the 3rd Board of Specialty Committee of TCM Pharmaceutics of World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies, since 2018
Member, Chinese Chemical Society
Member, International Society for Chinese Medicine
Permanent Member, Macao Society for Promotion of Science and Technology
Editorial Advisory Board membrane, ACS Applied Biomaterials, Jan. 2020-Present
Academic Editor, Journal of Nanomaterials, February 2012-Present
Deputy Director, Editorial Office of Chinese Medicine
Editorial Board member, Chinese Journal of Chemical Education (Chinese Core journal), Jan 2017-Present
Youth Editorial Board membrane, Chinese Chemical Letters, Jan. 2019-Present
Grant Reviewer for National Science Foundation of China (NSFC), French National Research Agency (ANR), Israel Science Foundation (ISF), US-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF), National Science Centre of Poland (NCN) and Czech Science Foundation (GACR)