(853) 8822 4874
Peng LI 李鵬
Deputy Director (Research and Technology Transfer), Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences
- BSc, MSc, Chengdu University of TCM
- MSc, PhD, University of Macau
|HSCI3013||Pharmaceutical Analysis Lab|
|GEST2003||Exploring Chinese Medicine||B.Sc. Course|
|CMED7008||Quality Control of Chinese Medicine||M.Sc. Course|
|CMED8008||Advanced Pharmaceutical Analysis||PhD Course|
- Innovative strategies and new techniques for quality evaluation of Chinese medicines
Chinese medicines are very complex chemical system. Especially, Chinese herbal formulae containing a variety of herbal medicines, they self-organize into an interactive and indivisible whole, and act harmoniously to treat diseases through a multi-components, multi-sites and multi-functions mode. The conventional quality evaluation approaches mainly target known ingredients or detectable components, but ignore their holistic nature. Therefore, the identification of chemical markers that can comprehensively reflect the main therapeutic effects and potential toxic activities of herbs is crucial to scientific quality evaluation of Chinese medicines.
Recently, some innovative strategies and new techniques, including multi-dimensional chromatographic techniques (2D-LC, 2D-LC/MS), high-resolution mass spectrometry based untargeted chemomics, artificial neural network based chemometrics, label-free proteomics and metabolomics have been developed in our group for quality evaluation of Chinese medicines. For example, using some of these integrated approaches, we have successfully discovered the Q-markers from Jinqi Jiangtang preparation against type 2 diabetes, and revealed the protective role of other herbs in An-Gong-Niu-Huang Wan against the hepatorenal toxicity of cinnabar and realgar.
- Rapid, convenient, sensitive and innovative method and platform for determination of exogenous harmful residues in Chinese medicines
Chinese medicines might be contaminated by some exogenous harmful residues such as heavy metals, pesticides, and mycotoxins. Traditionally, these contaminants can be detected using large-scale lab equipment such as HPLC, GC, LC-MS, GC-MS and ICP-MS. These techniques require qualified personnel, expensive instruments and complicated sample preparation, which limit their usage in production, storage, and distribution process of Chinese medicines. Therefore, research and development of simple, fast, and on-site detection methods for monitoring the levels of contaminants in Chinese medicines is extremely critical for assurance of human health.
Recently, we have developed several universal sensing techniques or platforms to detect pesticide residues using novel materials, including: 1) Fluorescence method based on nanozyme and carbon dots; 2) Smartphone-based colorimetric method; 3) Electrochemical method based on bi-functional nanozyme; 4) Ratiometric fluorescence method based on metal nanoclusters; 5) Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy technique. Moreover, we have also developed the luminescent metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) and fluorescent covalent organic frameworks (COFs) materials and carbon dots based fluorescent immunoassay for the detection of heavy metal ions and mycotoxins, respectively.
Dr. Peng Li obtained PhD degree in Biomedical Sciences from University of Macau in 2008, and then began his career as an associate professor at Kunming University of Science and Technology. He returned to UM and joined ICMS as Assistant Professor in 2011 and became an Associate Professor in 2017. He excels in scholarly and professional efforts in the development of key techniques for quality control and safety evaluation of traditional Chinese medicine. He has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers since moving to UM, with a total citation of over 4,000 times and an h-index of 36 (Google Scholar). He has competed successfully for more than 10 research grants from Science and Technology Department of Guangxi Province, Science and Technology Department of Sichuan Province, Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission, Science and Technology Development Fund of Macau, and UM. He was awarded 1st Prize of WFCMS International Award for Contribution to Chinese Medicine (Achievement Award in Medical Sciences), the 2nd Prize of Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award (Science and Technology Progress Award) and the 3rd Prize of Macao Science and Technology Awards (Technological Invention Award).
Books & Chapters
- Luo M, Wang T, Chen L, Cheng Z, Gunasekaran S*, Wei J*, Li P*. Nanozymes in Pesticides Detection. In: Nanozymes Advances and Applications. Sundaram Gunasekaran, Ed. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group: Florida, 2021.
- Guo L, Kang WY, Yin L, Song XM, Chen JZ, Li P (associate editor), Wei Y. Chemistry of Traditional Chinese Medicine. China Medical Science Press: Beijing, 2015.
- P Li, SP Li. Pressurized Liquid Extraction in Phytochemical Analysis. In Reviews in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. Paraskevas D. Tzanavaras & Constantinos K. Zacharis, Ed. Bentham Science Publishers, Inc.: Netherlands, 2010.
- P Li, YT Wang, SP Li. DanShen (丹參，Salvia miltiorrhiza). In Pharmacological Activity-Based Quality Control of Chinese Herbs. Shaoping Li, Ed. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.: New York, 2008.
Selected Journal Articles (during the recent 5 years)
- Wang S, Sheng F, Zou L, Xiao J*, Li P*. Hyperoside attenuates non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats via cholesterol metabolism and bile acid metabolism. Journal of Advanced Research. 2021, in press.
- Huang Z, Wei J, Wan Y, Li P*, Yu J, Dong J, Wang S*, Li S*, Lee CS*. Aligned millineedle arrays for solar power seawater desalination with site-specific salt formation. Small. 2021, in press.
- Wei J, Liu Y, Yu J, Chen L, Luo M, Yang L, Li P*, Li S*, Zhang X*. Conjugated polymers: optical toolbox for bioimaging and cancer therapy. Small. 2021, in press.
- Wang T, Wang S, Cheng Z, Wei J*, Yang L, Zhong Z, Hu H, Wang Y, Zhou B*, Li P*. Emerging core–shell nanostructures for surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) detection of pesticide residues. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2021, 424:130323.
- Yang L, Xue Y, Wei J, Dai Q, Li P*. Integrating metabolomic data with machine learning approach for discovery of Q-markers from Jinqi Jiangtang preparation against type 2 diabetes. Chinese Medicine. 2021, 16: 30.
- Wu X, Cao J, Li M, Yao P, Li H, Xu W, Yuan C, Liu J, Wang S*, Li P*, Wang Y. An integrated microbiome and metabolomic analysis identifies immunoenhancing features of Ganoderma lucidum spores oil in mice. Pharmacological Research. 2020, 158: 104937.
- Ma LJ, Cao JL, Meng FC, Wang SP, Deng Y, Wang YT, Li P*, Wan JB*. Quantitative characterization of ginsenoside biotransformation in Panax notoginseng inflorescences and leaves by online two-dimensional liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2020, 68: 5327-5338.
- Luo M, Wei J, Zhao Y, Sun Y, Liang H, Wang S, Li P*. Fluorescent and Visual Detection of Methyl-paraoxon by Using Boron-and Nitrogen-doped Carbon Dots. Microchemical Journal. 2020, 154: 104547.
- Wei J, Xue Y, Dong J, Wang S, Hu H, Gao H*, Li P*, Wang Y*. A new fluorescent technique for pesticide detection by using metal coordination polymer and nanozyme. Chinese Medicine. 2020, 15: 22.
- Sheng F, Zhang L, Wang S, Yang L, Li P*. Deacetyl Ganoderic Acid F Inhibits LPS-Induced Neural Inflammation via NF-κB Pathway Both In Vitro and In Vivo. Nutrients. 2019, 12: E85.
- Cao JL, Ma LJ, Wang SP, Deng Y, Wang YT, Li P*, Wan JB*. Comprehensively qualitative and quantitative analysis of ginsenosides in Panax notoginseng leaves by online two-dimensional liquid chromatography coupled to hybrid linear ion trap Orbitrap mass spectrometry with deeply optimized dilution and modulation system. Analytica Chimica Acta. 2019, 1079: 237-251.
- Yang L, Wei J, Sheng F, Li P*. Attenuation of palmitic acid–induced lipotoxicity by chlorogenic acid through activation of SIRT1 in hepatocytes. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. 2019, 63: 1801432.
- Wei J, Yang L, Luo M, Wang YT, Li P*. Nanozyme-assisted technique for dual mode detection of organophosphorus pesticide. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 2019, 179: 17-23.
- Wei J, Yang Y, Dong J, Wang S*, Li P*. Fluorometric determination of pesticides and organophosphates using nanoceria as a phosphatase mimic and an inner filter effect on carbon nanodots. Microchimica Acta. 2019, 186: 66.
- Yang L, Li L, Hu H, Wan J, Li P*. Natural deep eutectic solvents for simultaneous extraction of multi-bioactive components from Jinqi Jiangtang preparations. Pharmaceutics. 2019, 11: 18.
- Zhang L, Dou X, Zhang C, Ying G, Liu C, Luo J, Li Q, Li P*, Wang Y, Yang M*. Facile preparation of stable PEG-functionalized quantum dots with glycine-enhanced photoluminescence and their application for screening of aflatoxin B1 in herbs. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2018, 261: 188-195.
- Li A, Zhang J, Xiao X, Wang S, Wan J, Chai Y*, Li P*, Wang Y. Hepatorenal protective effects of medicinal herbs in An-Gong-Niu-Huang Wan (AGNH) against cinnabar- and realgar-induced oxidative stress and inflammatory damage in mice. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2018, 119: 445-456.
- Cao JL, Wang SS, Hu H, He CW, Wan JB, Su HX, Wang YT, Li P*. Online comprehensive two-dimensional hydrophilic interaction chromatography ×reversed-phase liquid chromatography coupled with hybrid linear ion trap Orbitrap mass spectrometry for the analysis of phenolic acids in Salvia miltiorrhiza. Journal of Chromatography A. 2018, 1536: 216-227.
- Wang S, Xu Y, Li C, Tao H, Wang A, Sun C, Zhong Z, Wu X, Li P*, Wang Y*. Gambogic acid sensitizes breast cancer cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis by promoting the crosstalk of extrinsic and intrinsic apoptotic signaling. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2018, 119: 334-341.
- Xia F, Li A, Chai Y, Xiao X, Wan J*, Li P*, Wang Y. UPLC/Q-TOFMS-based metabolomics approach to reveal the protective role of other herbs in An-Gong-Niu-Huang Wan against the hepatorenal toxicity of cinnabar and realgar. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2018, 9: 618.
- Wei JC, Wei B, Yang W, He CW, Su HX, Wan JB, Li P*, Wang YT. Trace determination of carbamate pesticides in medicinal plants by a fluorescent technique. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2018, 119: 430-437.
- Wu X, Wang S, Li M, Wang A, Zhou Y, Li P*, Wang Y*. Nanocarriers for TRAIL delivery: driving TRAIL back on track for cancer therapy. Nanoscale. 2017, 9: 13879-13904.
- Li A, Zhang X, Shu M, Wu M, Wang J, Zhang J, Wang R*, Li P*, Wang Y. Arctigenin suppresses renal interstitial fibrosis in a rat model of obstructive nephropathy. Phytomedicine. 2017, 30: 28-41.
- Li YX, Gong XH, Liu MC, Peng C*, Li P*, Wang YT. Investigation of liver injury of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb. in rats by metabolomics and traditional approaches. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2017, 8: 791.
- Yu H, Qiu JF, Ma LJ, Hu YJ, Li P*, Wan JB*. Phytochemical and phytopharmacological review of Perilla frutescens L. (Labiatae), a traditional edible-medicinal herb in China. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2017, 108(Pt B): 375-391.
- Hu Y, Zhang J, Zou L, Fu C, Li P*, Zhao G*. Chemical characterization, antioxidant, immune-regulating and anticancer activities of a novel bioactive polysaccharide from Chenopodium quinoa seeds. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2017, 99: 622-629.
- Cai Y#, Li P#, Li XW, Zhao J, Chen H, Yang Q, Hu H. Converting Panax ginseng DNA and chemical fingerprints into two-dimensional barcode. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2017, 41(3): 339-346.
- Cao J, Wei J, Hu YJ, He CW, Chen M, Wan JB, Li P*. Qualitative and quantitative characterization of phenolic and diterpenoid constituents in Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) by comprehensive two-dimensional liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A. 2016, 1427: 79-89.
- Sheng F, Chen M, Tan Y, Xiang C, Zhang M, Li B, Su HX, He CW, Wan JB, Li P*. Protective effects of Otophylloside N on pentylenetetrazol-induced neuronal injury in vitro and in vivo. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2016, 7: 224.
- Wei J, Hu J, Cao J, Wan JB, He CW, Hu YJ, Hu H, Li P*. Sensitive detection of organophosphorus pesticides in medicinal plants using ultrasoundassisted dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction combined with sweeping micellar electrokinetic chromatography. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2016, 64(4): 932-942.
2020 1st Prize, WFCMS International Award for Contribution to Chinese Medicine – Achievement Award in Medical Sciences (2nd Recipient)
2020 2nd Prize, Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award (Science and Technology) –Science and Technology Progress Award (4th Recipient)
2018 3rd Prize, Macao Science and Technology Awards – Technological Invention Award (2nd Recipient)
- Academic Committee Member, NMPA Key Laboratory for Quality Monitoring and Evaluation of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Chinese Materia Medica)
- Academic Committee Member, Macao Youth Scholars Program
- Youth Committee Member, China Association of Chinese Medicine
- Executive Council Member, 1st Board of Specialty Committee of Multidimensional Evaluation of Genuine Medicinal Materials of World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies
- Member, Macao Product Quality Certification Committee
- Deputy Council President, International Association of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine
- Member, International Society of Chinese Medicine