Yonghua ZHAO 趙永華
- Doctor of Chinese Internal Medicine, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, China
- Master of Integrative Clinical Medicine, Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China
- Chinese medicinal active compounds combined with mesenchymal stem cells rehabilitates neurovascular unit after focal cerebral ischemia
- Chinese medicinal formulae improves neuron-glia metabolic coupling after ischemic stroke
- Exosomes loaded with active compounds of Chinese medicines modulate blood-brain barrier permeability
- Clinical trial of cardio/cerebral vascular diseases using traditional Chinese Medical or integrative medical therapeutic strategies
Dr. Yonghua ZHAO has abundant Chinese Medical experiences on the study and treatment of cardio/cerebral vascular diseases. After he was granted master of integrative clinical medicine in Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, he worked in department of emergency internal medicine as Physician in the First Affiliated Hospital of Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Subsequently, he acquired his doctoral degree of Chinese Internal Medicine in Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine. In 2004, he came to Macao and was recruited to be charge of Chinese Medicine pedagogical, research and clinical works by Macau University of Science and Technology. His research interesting mainly focuses on the efficacy and pharmacological mechanism of Chinese Medicines or their active compounds on cardio/cerebral vascular diseases. In 2019, he moved to institute of Chinese Medical Sciences as Assistant Professor, University of Macau. Dr. Zhao has hosted five projects funded by The Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT) of Macao Special Administrative Region, and published 59 academic papers (19 SCI papers).
We are actively looking for postdoctoral fellows, MSc and PhD students, as well as research assistants who can participate in our research projects on Neuropharmacology. For further information, please contact Dr. firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative peer-reviewed journal papers:
- Yong-Hua Zhao*, Nai-Wei Liu, Chien-Chih Ke, Bo-Wen Liu, Yi-An Chen, Cheng Luo, Qian Zhang, Zhen-Yan Xia and Ren-Shyan Liu, “Combined treatment of sodium ferulate, n-butylidenephthalide, and ADSCs rehabilitates neurovascular unit in rats after photothrombotic stroke,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 2019, 23(1):126-142. IF: 4.302.
- Yueying Li, Yuntao Liu, Xia Yan, Qing Liu, Yonghua Zhao* and Dawei Wang*, “Pharmacological Effects and Mechanisms of Chinese Medicines Modulating NLRP3 inflammasomes in Ischemic Cardio/Cerebral Vascular Disease,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2018, 10:1-15. IF: 3.12
- Bowen Liu, Cheng Luo, Zhaoguang Zheng, Zhenyan Xia, Qian Zhang, Chienchih Ke, Renshyan Liu and Yonghua Zhao*, “Shengui Sansheng San extraction is an angiogenic switch via regulations of AKT/mTOR, ERK1/2 and Notch1 signal pathways after ischemic stroke,” Phytomedicine, 2018, 44: 20–31. IF: 3.610
- Yue-Ying Li and Yong-Hua Zhao*, “Efficacy and Mechanisms of Chinese Medicine on the Modulation of Myocardial Autophagy in Cardiovascular Disease,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, 2017, 45(5):917-932. IF: 3.222
- Nai-Wei Liu, Chien-Chih Ke, Yonghua Zhao*, Yi-An Chen, Kim-Chuan Chan, David Tat-Wei Tan, Jhih-Shian Lee, You-Yin Chen, Tun-Wei Hsu, Ya-Ju Hsieh, Chi-Wei Chang, Bang-Hung Yang, Wen-Sheng Huang and Ren-Shyan Liu*, “Evolutional Characterization of Photochemically Induced Stroke in Rats: A Multimodality Imaging and Molecular Biological Study,” Translational Stroke Research. 2017, 8(3):244-256. IF: 4.503
- Qian Zhang, Zhen-Wei Chen, Yong-Hua Zhao*, Bo-Wen Liu, Nai-Wei Liu, Chien-Chih Ke and Hong-Mei Tan, “Bone Marrow Stromal Cell Combined with Sodium Ferulate and n-butylidenephthalide Promote the Effect of Therapeutic Angiogenesis via Advancing Astrocyte-Derived Trophic Factors after Ischemic Stroke,” Cell Transplantation. 2017, 26(2):229-242. IF: 3.427
- Qian Zhang, Yonghua Zhao*,Youhua Xu, Zhenwei Chen, Naiwei Liu, Chienchih Ke , Bowen Liu and Weikang Wu, “Sodium ferulate and n-butylidenephthalate combined with bone marrow stromal cells (BMSCs) improve the therapeutic effects of angiogenesis and neurogenesis after rat focal cerebral ischemia,” Journal of Translational Medicine. 2016, 14(1):223. IF: 3.694
- Yonghua Zhao*, Qian Zhang, Zhenwei Chen, Naiwei Liu, Chienchih Ke, Youhua Xu and Weikang Wu, “Simvastatin combined with bone marrow stromal cells treatment activates astrocytes to ameliorate neurological function after ischemic stroke in rats,” Turkish Journal of Biology. 2016, 40: 519-528. IF: 1.343
- Hengli Guo, Youhua Xu, Wei Huang, Hua Zhou, Zhaoguang Zheng,Yonghua Zhao, Bao He, Tingting Zhu, Shanshan Tang and Quan Zhu, “Kuwanon G Preserves LPS-Induced Disruption of Gut Epithelial Barrier In Vitro,” Molecules. 2016, 21(11). pii: E1597. IF: 2.465
- Youhua Xu, Jianfeng Xiong, Yonghua Zhao, Bao He, Zhaoguang Zheng and Quan Zhu, “Calycosin Rebalances Advanced Glycation End Products-Induced Glucose Uptake Dysfunction of Hepatocyte In Vitro,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2015, 43(6):1191-210. IF: 2.755
- Ya-Ju Hsieh, Luen Hwu, Chien-Chih Ke, Ai-Lin Huang, Fu-Du Chen, Shyh-Jong Wu, Sharon Chia-Ju Chen, Yong-Hua Zhao and Ren-Shyan Liu, “Demonstration of Tightly Radiation-Controlled Molecular Switch Based on CArG Repeats by In Vivo Molecular Imaging,” Molecular Imaging and Biology. 2015, 17(6):802-810. IF: 2.774
- Qian Zhang and Yong-Hua Zhao*, “Therapeutic Angiogenesis after Ischemic Stroke: Chinese Medicines, Bone Marrow Stromal Cells (BMSCs) and their Combinational Treatment,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2014, 42(1): 61–77. IF: 2.625
- Yonghua Zhao*, Wan Lai, Youhua Xu, Liming Li, Zhenwei Chen and Weikang Wu, “Exogenous and endogenous therapeutic effects of combination Sodium Ferulate and bone marrow stromal cells (BMSCs) treatment enhance neurogenesis after rat focal cerebral ischemia,” Metabolic Brain Disease. 2013, 28:655–666. IF: 2.638
- Li-Zhen Liao, Yan-Ling Chen, Li-He Lu, Yong-Hua Zhao, Hua-Lei Guo and Wei-Kang Wu, “Polysaccharide from Fuzi Likely Protects Against Starvation-Induced Cytotoxicity in H9c2 Cells by Increasing Autophagy Through Activation of the AMPK/mTOR Pathway,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2013, 41(2): 353–367. IF: 2.281
- Zhao Yong-Hua*, Guan Ying and Wu Wei-Kang. Potential advantages of a combination of Chinese Medicine and bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell transplantation for removing blood stasis and stimulating neogenesis during ischemic stroke treatment. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2012, 32(2): 289-292. IF: 0.667
- Yonghua Zhao*, Ying Guan, Youhua Xu, Yun Li and Weikang Wu. Sodium Ferulate combined with bone marrow stromal cell treatment ameliorating rat brain ischemic injury after stroke. Brain research. 2012, 1450:157-165. IF: 2.879
- GuanYing and Zhao Yong-hua*. Treatment of Cerebral Ischemia with the Combination of Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Chinese Medicine. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2011, 17(9):715-720. IF: 1.059
- Zhao Yong-hua*, Liu Yu-de, Guan Ying and Liu Nai-wei. Effect of Yinian Jiangya Yin on Primary Hypertension in Early Stage -A Clinical Observations on 40 Patients. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2010, 30(3):171-175. IF: 0.296
- Zhao Yong-hua*, Xu You-hua, Guan Ying and Xiang-ping. Effects of Yinian Jiangya Decoction Containing Serum on Cytokines Secretion of Vascular Endothelium of Spontaneously hypertensive Rates. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2010, 16(4):344-347. IF: 0.799
- Yonghua Zhao, “Pharmacology of Traditional Chinese Medicine,” in Medical Textbook of National Designation: Chinese Medicine. Higher Education Press, 2018.
- Qian Zhang and Yonghua Zhao, “ Combination treatment of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and Angelica sinensis’ active ingredients for ischemic stroke” in Cellular and Molecular Approaches to Regeneration & Repair. Springer Press, 2017: 239-257.
- Yonghua Zhao, Current Topics on Chinese Medical Treatment of Internal Medical Diseases, Macau University of Science and Technology Press, 2010.
Executive Member of the Standing in Cardiovascular Committee of Guangdong Province Integrative Medicine
Academic Advisor of Integrative Medical Committee (Macao)
Associate general-secretary of cross-strait scientific collaboration center for Chinese Medicine
Executive Member of the Standing in the Specialty Committee of Immunology of Traditional Chinese Medicine of WFCMS
Member of Macau Association for Science and Technology
Member of council in the Specialty Committee of Hypertension of WFCMS
Member of Macau Higher Education Development Association
Chinese Medical license, the Health Bureau of Macao Special Administrative Region, 2007
Middle level specialty and technology license, the Personnel Ministry of PR China, 2003
Integrative medical license, Ministry of Health, PR China, 2002.
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences
SKL of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine
University of Macau, N22
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa, Macau