Yong Hua ZHAO 趙永華
Assistant Professor, Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences
- M.D. in Chinese Internal Medicine, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, China
- M.Sc. in Integrative Clinical Medicine, Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China
- B.Sc. in Chinese Medicine, Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine, China
|CMED7001||Pharmacology and Safety Evaluation||M.Sc. Course|
|CMED7003||Medical Technology Management||M.Sc. Course|
|CMED8005||Quality Research in Chinese Medicine||PhD Course|
- Pharmacological research of Chinese medicines on cardio/cerebral vascular disease
- Therapeutic strategies of mesenchymal stem cells, exosomes and biomimetic nanomaterials for ischemic stroke
- Early diagnostic markers of neurocognitive disorder
- Chinese medicine constitution and susceptibility to certain diseases
- Functional foods for intervention of metabolic syndrome
- Clinical research of cardio/cerebral vascular and metabolic diseases
Dr. Yonghua ZHAO has abundant Chinese Medical experiences on the study and treatment of cardio/cerebral vascular disease. After he was awarded a Master of Science degree in Integrative Clinical Medicine, he worked in the department of emergency internal medicine as Physician in the First Affiliated Hospital of Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Subsequently, he received his MD degree in Chinese Internal Medicine from Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine. In 2004, he migrated to Macao and was in charge of Chinese Medicine teaching, research and clinical works in Macau University of Science and Technology. In 2019, he moved to Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau. His interesting mainly focuses on pharmacological research of Chinese Medicine on cardio/cerebral vascular disease and neurocognitive disorders by Gut-brain axis. Dr. Zhao hosted seven projects funded by The Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT) of Macao Special Administrative Region, one project funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (General Programme), and one project funded by Guangdong Natural Science Fund (General Programme), as well as three grants of UM. He has published 62 SCI articles, which of the first or corresponding author account for 39.
We are actively looking for postdoctoral fellows, MSc and PhD students, as well as research assistants who can participate in our research projects on Neuropharmacology, Exosome Application, Neurocognitive Disorder and Gut Microbiota Analysis. For further information, please contact Dr. Zhao: email@example.com
Representative peer-reviewed journal papers
- Xingping Quan, Xiao Liang, Yuanfu Ding, Yan Han, Junyan Li, Mengchen Yuan, Yiyang Li, Zhen Yuan, Ruibing Wang*, and Yonghua Zhao*. Cryo-Shocked Platelet Coupled with ROS-Responsive Nanomedicine for Targeted Treatment of Thromboembolic Disease. ACS Nano. 2023, doi: 10.1021/acsnano.2c11865. Online ahead of print. (IF: 18.027)
- Yiyang Li, Bowen Liu, Tingting Zhao, Xingping Quan, Yan Han, Yaxin Cheng, Yanling Chen, Xu Shen, Ying Zheng, Yonghua Zhao*. Comparative study of extracellular vesicles derived from mesenchymal stem cells and brain endothelial cells attenuating blood-brain barrier permeability via regulating Caveolin-1-dependent ZO-1 and Claudin-5 endocytosis in acute ischemic stroke. Journal of Nanobiotechnology. 2023, 21:70. (IF: 9.429)
- Peng-De Lu, Meng-Chen Yuan, Xing-Ping Quan, Jin-Fen Chen, Yong-Hua Zhao*. Preclinical studies of licorice in ulcerative colitis: A systematic review with meta-analysis and network pharmacology. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2022, 296: 115444. (IF: 5.195)
- Xingping Quan, Yan Han, Pengde Lu, Yuanfu Ding, Qingfu Wang, Yiyang Li, Jianwen Wei, Qiaoxian Huang, Ruibing Wang*, Yonghua Zhao*. Annexin V-modified platelet-biomimetic nanomedicine for targeted therapy of acute ischemic stroke. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2022, e2200416. (IF: 11.092)
- Yan Han, Xingping Quan, Yaochen Chuang, Xingqiao Liang, Yang Li, Zhen Yuan, Ying Bian, Lai Wei, Ji Wang, Yonghua Zhao*. A multi-omics analysis for prediction of neurocognitive disorders risk among the elderly in Macao. Clinical and Translational Medicine. 2022, 12:e909. (IF: 11.492)
- Bowen Liu, Tingting Zhao, Yiyang Li, Yan Han, Youhua Xu, Hua Yang, Shengpeng Wang, Yonghua Zhao*, Ping Li, Yitao Wang*. Notoginsenoside R1 ameliorates mitochondrial dysfunction to circumvent neuronal energy failure in acute phase of focal cerebral ischemia. Phytotherapy Research. 2022, 36(5):2223-2235. (IF: 5.882)
- Lu Shi, Yongcheng An, Long Cheng, Yiyang Li, Huimin Li, Chen Wang, Yinglan Lv, Yuhui Duan, Hongyu Dai, Changhao He, Huilin Zhang, Yan Huang, Wanxin Fu, ShengPeng Wang, Baosheng Zhao*, Yitao Wang, Yonghua Zhao*. Qingwei San treats oral ulcer subjected to stomach heat syndrome in db/db mice by targeting TLR4/MyD88/NF-κB pathway. Chinese Medicine. 2022, 17(1):1. (IF: 5.455)
- Yiyang Li, Bowen Liu, Ying Chen, Xingping Quan, Yan Han, Ying Zheng*, Yonghua Zhao*. Extracellular Vesicle Application as a Novel Therapeutic Strategy for Ischemic Stroke. Translational Stroke Research. 2022, 13(1):171-187. (IF: 6.829)
- Li Yang , Yongchao Gao, Vivek K Bajpai, Heba A El-Kammar, Jesus Simal-Gandara, Hui Cao, Ka-Wing Cheng, Mingfu Wang, Randolph R J Arroo , Liang Zou, Mohamed A Farag*, Yonghua Zhao*, Jianbo Xiao*. Advance toward isolation, extraction, metabolism and health benefits of kaempferol, a major dietary flavonoid with future perspectives. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2021; 23:1-17. (IF: 11.176)
- Meng Xu, Tao Feng, Bowen Liu, Fen Qiu, Youhua Xu, Yonghua Zhao*, and Ying Zheng*. Engineered exosomes: desirable target-tracking characteristics for cerebrovascular and neurodegenerative disease therapies. Theranostics. 2021; 11(18): 8926 – 8944. (IF: 11.556)
- Bowen Liu, Yiyang Li, Yan Han, Shengpeng Wang, Hua Yang, Yonghua Zhao*, Ping Li, Yitao Wang*. Notoginsenoside R1 intervenes degradation and redistribution of tight junctions to ameliorate blood-brain barrier permeability by Caveolin-1/MMP2/9 pathway after acute ischemic stroke. Phytomedicine. 2021, 90:153660. (IF: 5.340)
- Zhuo Zhang, Yaochen Chuang, Xinyu Ke, Ji Wang, Youhua Xu, Yonghua Zhao* and Ying Bian*. The influence of TCM constitutions and neurocognitive function in elderly Macau individual. Chinese Medicine. 2021, 16:32. (IF: 5.455)
- Jia Hu, Cheng Zeng, Jie Wei, Fengqi Duan, Sijun Liu, Yonghua Zhao*, Hongmei Tan*. The combination of Panax ginseng and Angelica sinensis alleviates ischemia brain injury by suppressing NLRP3 inflammasome activation and microglial pyroptosis. Phytomedicine. 2020, 76:153251. (IF: 4.268)
- Erdan Luo, Daiyan Zhang, Hua Luo, Bowen Liu, Keming Zhao, Yonghua Zhao*, Ying Bian* , Yitao Wang. Treatment efficacy analysis of traditional Chinese medicine for novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19): an empirical study from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Chinese Medicine. 2020, 15:34. (IF: 2.960)
- Peng‑De Lu and Yong‑Hua Zhao*. Targeting NF‑κB pathway for treating ulcerative colitis: comprehensive regulatory characteristics of Chinese medicines. Chinese Medicine. 2020, 15:15. (IF: 2.960)
- Zhen-Yan Xia, Cheng Luo, Bo-Wen Liu, Xi-Qing Bian, Yang Li, Ai-Ming Pang, You-Hua Xu, Hong-Mei Tan, Yong-Hua Zhao*. Shengui Sansheng Pulvis maintains blood-brain barrier integrity by vasoactive intestinal peptide after ischemic stroke. Phytomedicine. 2020, 67:153158. (IF: 4.180)
- Yong-Hua Zhao*, Nai-Wei Liu, Chien-Chih Ke, Bo-Wen Liu, Yi-An Chen, Cheng Luo, Qian Zhang , Zhen-Yan Xia, Ren-Shyan Liu. Combined treatment of sodium ferulate, n‐butylidenephthalide, and ADSCs rehabilitates neurovascular unit in rats after photothrombotic stroke. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 2019, 23(1):126-142. (IF: 4.302)
- Bowen Liu, Cheng Luo, Zhaoguang Zheng, Zhenyan Xia, Qian Zhang, Chienchih Ke, Renshyan Liu, Yonghua Zhao*. Shengui Sansheng San extraction is an angiogenic switch via regulations of AKT/mTOR, ERK1/2 and Notch1 signal pathways after ischemic stroke. Phytomedicine. 2018, 44: 20–31. (IF: 3.610)
- Yue-Ying Li and Yong-Hua Zhao*. Efficacy and Mechanisms of Chinese Medicine on the Modulation of Myocardial Autophagy in Cardiovascular Disease. The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2017, 45(5):917-932. (IF: 3.222)
- Nai-Wei Liu, Chien-Chih Ke, Yonghua Zhao*, Yi-An Chen, Kim-Chuan Chan, David Tat-Wei Tan, Jhih-Shian Lee, You-Yin Chen, Tun-Wei Hsu, Ya-Ju Hsieh, Chi-Wei Chang, Bang-Hung Yang, Wen-Sheng Huang, Ren-Shyan Liu. Evolutional Characterization of Photochemically Induced Stroke in Rats: A Multimodality Imaging and Molecular Biological Study. Translational Stroke Research. 2017, 8(3):244-256. (IF: 8.266)
- Yonghua Zhao, Yitao Wang. Chapter: The collaborative status and perspective of traditional medicine field between China and Portuguese-speaking countries. THE ANNUAL REPORT ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF ECONOMIC AND TRADE COOPERATION BETWEEN CHINA AND PORTUGUESE-SPEAKING COUNTRIES （2018-2019）. Social Sciences Academic Press (China), 2020-04, 177-187.
- Yonghua Zhao, Chapter: Pharmacology of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Medical Textbook of National Designation: Chinese Medicine. Higher Education Press, 2018, 167-216.
- Qian Zhang and Yonghua Zhao, Chapter: Combination treatment of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and Angelica sinensis’ active ingredients for ischemic stroke in Cellular and Molecular Approaches to Regeneration & Repair. Springer Press, 2017: 239-257.
- Yonghua Zhao, Current Topics on Chinese Medical Treatment of Internal Medical Diseases, Macau University of Science and Technology Press, 2010.
Member of the Guiding Committee for Bachelor’s degree Teaching of Clinical Integrating Chinese with Western medicine in Guangdong Province higher education
Executive Member of the Standing in Cardiovascular Committee of Guangdong Province Integrative Medicine
Academic Advisor of Integrative Medical Committee (Macao)
Member of council in the Specialty Committee of Hypertension of WFCMS
Chinese Medical license, the Health Bureau of Macao Special Administrative Region, 2007
Middle level specialty and technology license, the Personnel Ministry of PR China, 2003
Integrative medical license, Ministry of Health, PR China, 2002.