Defang OUYANG 歐陽德方
- PhD, The University of Queensland, Australia
- MSc, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, China
- BSc, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, China
- Computational Pharmacy (CMED728)
- Application of Pharmacokinetics and Metabonomics in Drug Development (CMED724)
- Standardization and Quality Management of Chinese Medicine (CMED727）
Dr Ouyang has a multidisciplinary background in pharmaceutics & computer modelling, with experience in academia and industry. He obtained his bachelor and master in pharmaceutics from Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, China. He completed his PhD in pharmacy at The University of Queensland, Australia, in 2010 and progressed directly to his faculty position (Lecturer in Pharmaceutics, PI) at Aston University (UK). From the end of 2014, he moved to the University of Macau. Since 2011, he has pioneered the integration of multi-scale modeling, artificial intelligence and big data techniques in the field of drug delivery – “computational pharmaceutics“. He has published over 20 refereed journal papers and 5 issued patents. He chaired the ‘Computational Pharmaceutics’ Workshop in 2014 Controlled Release Society Annual Meeting (Chicago, USA). He edited with Professor Smith the first book in this area <Computational Pharmaceutics – the application of molecular modeling in drug delivery> (John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2015). Currently he supervises 4 PhD students and 7 master students. He also had successfully supervised two PhD students and 22 master research projects.
- Multi-scale modeling in pharmaceutics: to integrate quantum mechanics (QM), molecular dynamics (MD), process simulation and biopharmaceutical modeling into drug delivery systems;
- Artificial intelligence (AI) of pharmaceutical formulations: to build the database of pharmaceutical formulations and predict the formulations by machine learning approaches;
- Pharmacoinformatics: to analyze pharmaceutical information from the literature, patent, clinical trial and marketed products by big data techniques.
We are now looking for postgraduate students and research assistants who are interested in our research projects on computational pharmaceutics and pharmaceutical information. For further information, please contact Dr. OUYANG at firstname.lastname@example.org
- D. Ouyang, S. Smith. Computational Pharmaceutics – the application of molecular modeling in drug delivery. John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2015.
- D. Ouyang, W. Pan. Practical Pharmaceutical Patents (2006, in Chinese). People’s Medical Publishing House China, Beijing, China. ISBN: 7117080914.
Selected journal paper
- Qianqian Zhao, Weixiang Zhang, Runmiao Wang, Yitao Wang, Defang Ouyang. Research Advances on Molecular Modeling in Cyclodextrins. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 2017, 23, 1-11
- Yin, H. , Wang, R. , Wan, J. , Zheng, Y. , Ouyang, D. , Wang, R. Molecular encapsulation of histamine H2-Receptor antagonists by cucurbitUril: An experimental and computational study. Molecules. 21(9), 2016, 1178;
- Shi, C., Sun, Y., Wu, H., Zhu, C., Wei, G., Li, J., Chan, T., Ouyang, D., Mao, S. Exploring the effect of hydrophilic and hydrophobic structure of grafted polymeric micelles on drug loading. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 512(1), 2016, 282-291;
- Li, J., Miao, X., Chen, T., Ouyang, D., Zheng, Y. Preparation and characterization of pelletized solid dispersion of resveratrol with mesoporous silica microparticles to improve dissolution by fluid-bed coating techniques. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 11 (4), 2016, 528-535.
- De Luca, S, Seal, P, Ouyang, D., Parekh, H, Kannam, S, Smith, S. Dynamical Interactions of 5-Fluorouracil Drug with Dendritic Peptide Vectors: The Impact of Dendrimer Generation, Charge, Counterions, and Structured Water. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2016, 120(25). pp. 5732-5743.
- Wang, L, Chen, K, Wen, H, Ouyang, D., Li, X, Gao, Y, Pan, W, Yang, X. Design and Evaluation of Hydrophilic Matrix System Containing Polyethylene Oxides for the Zero-Order Controlled Delivery of Water-Insoluble Drugs. AAPS PharmSciTech, 2016. pp. 1-11.
- Runmiao Wang, Hui Zhou, Shirley W. I. Siu, Yong Gan, Yitao Wang, and Defang Ouyang, Comparison of Three Molecular Simulation Approaches for Cyclodextrin-Ibuprofen Complexation, Journal of Nanomaterials, 2015, 193049;
- J. S Wilkhu, D. Ouyang, D. E Anderson, and Y. Perrie. Investigating the role of cholesterol in the formation of non-ionic based bilayer vesicles: thermal and molecular dynamic analysis. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2014, 461(1-2):331-41;
- ElShaer, D. Ouyang, P. Hanson and A. R. Mohammed, Preparation and Evaluation of Amino Acid Based Salt Forms of Model Zwitterionic Drug Ciprofloxacin. Journal of Pharmaceutics & Drug Delivery Research. 2013, 2, 1-10;
- L. Gan, J. Wang, M. Jiang, H. Bartlett, D. Ouyang, F. Eperjesi, J. Liu, Y. Gan. Recent advances in topical ophthalmic drug delivery with lipid-based nanocarriers. Drug Discovery Today., 2013, 18 (5-6), 290-297;
- Q. Zhu, T. Guo, D. Xia, X. Li, C. Zhu, H. Li, D. Ouyang, J. Zhang, Y. Gan, Pluronic F127-modified liposome-containing tacrolimus–cyclodextrin inclusion complexes: improved solubility, cellular uptake and intestinal penetration., J. Pharm. Pharmacol., 2013(65), 1107-1117;
- D. Ouyang, Investigating the Molecular Structures of Solid Dispersions by Molecular Dynamics Simulations with the Simulated Annealing Method. Chem. Phys. Lett., 2012, 554, 177–184;
- H. Zhang, D. Ouyang, V. Murthy, Y. Wong, Z. P. Xu and S. C. Smith, Hydrotalcite Intercalated siRNA: Computational Characterization of the Interlayer Environment. Pharmaceutics, 2012, 4, 296-313;
- Y. Perrie, R. K. Badhana, D.J. Kirby, D. Lowry, A. R. Mohammed and D. Ouyang, The impact of ageing on the barriers to drug delivery. J. Control. Release, 2012, 161, 389–398;
- D. Ouyang, H.Zhang, H. Parekh and S.C. Smith, The Effect of pH on PAMAM Dendrimer-siRNA Complexation – Endosomal Considerations as Determined by Molecular Dynamics Simulation. Biophys. Chem., 2011, 158, 126–133;
- D. Ouyang, H.Zhang, H. Parekh and S.C. Smith, Structure and Dynamics of multiple polymers-siRNA Complexation by Molecular Dynamics Study. J. Phys. Chem. B., 2010, 114, 9231–9237
- D. Ouyang, H.Zhang, D.Herten, H. Parekh and S.C. Smith, Structure, Dynamics and Energetics of siRNA-Cationic Vector Complexation: A Molecular Dynamics Study. J. Phys. Chem. B., 2010, 114, 9220–9230.
- D. Ouyang, H.Zhang, D.Herten, H. Parekh and S.C. Smith, “Flexibility of Short-Strand RNA in Aqueous Solution as Revealed by Molecular Dynamics Simulation: Are A-RNA and A’-RNA Distinct Conformational Structures?” Aust. J. Chem., 2009, 62, 1054-1061.
- D. Ouyang, N. Shah, H. Zhang, S.C. Smith and H. Parekh, “Reducible Disulphide-Based Non-Viral Gene Delivery Systems”, Mini-Rev. Med. Chem., 2009, 9, 1242-1250.
- D. Ouyang, J. Meng, C.Kong, S. Nie, W. Pan. Mechanism of drug release from compound metformin/glipizide elementary osmotic pump tablets. J. Chin. Pharm. Sci. 2006, 15(2): 92-96.
- D. Ouyang, S. Nie, W. Li, H. Guo, H. Liu, W. Pan. Design and evaluation of compound metformin/glipizide elementary osmotic pump tablets. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 2005, 57, 817-820.
- D. Ouyang, S. Nie, J. Meng, X. Yang, Z. Song, W. Pan. Compound Metformin/ Glipizide Bilayer Extended Release Tablets: Development and In Vitro Release. J. Chin. Pharm. Sci. 2005, 14(3), 169-172.
Pharmacy education paper
- Weixiang Zhang, Yitao Wang, Defang Ouyang. Diversity of Pharmacy Faculty Members between UK and US. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. (Accepted)
- Weixiang Zhang , Yitao Wang, Defang Ouyang. Professional development of Chinese-origin pharmacy faculty members in western countries. Pharmacy. (Accepted)
- D. Ouyang, How to help first-year pharmacy to gain the big picture. Journal of Asian Association of Schools of Pharmacy. 2012, 1(4) 194 – 202;
- D. Ouyang, W. Pan. Combination of metformin/glipizide controlled-release tablet and its preparation method. Chinese patent: CN200510045949;
- W.Pan, W. Li, S. Nie, H. Guo, D. Ouyang, Z. Zhang, G. Du. Single-chamber, double-layered osmotic pump control-release system with holes on two sides. Chinese patent: CN200510045951;
- D. Ouyang, Q. Zuo, C. Wang, H. Zhang, Y. Bao. Instant pirarubicin HCl freeze-drying powdery injection and its production. CN200610157023;
- D. Ouyang, J. Zeng, N. Yu, Y. Bao. Stable injection docetaxel. Chinese patent: 200610032942;
- J. Zeng, D. Ouyang, H. Zhang, Y. Bao. Method for removing organic solvent from viscous liquid. Chinese patent: 200610061698;
Awards and grants
- 2015 FDCT Research Grant (009/2015/A), Macau;
- 2013 Royal Society Research Grants (RG120633), Royal Society, UK;
- 2013 Science Capital Business Plan Award, UK;
- 2011 Dean’s Award for Research Higher Degree Excellence, The University of Queensland, Australia;
- 2009 Research Higher Degree Award in the Therapeutic Targeting category, School of Pharmacy, The University of Queensland, Australia;
- 2007 Faculty of Health Science Tuition Fee-Waiver Scholarship & School of Pharmacy International Living Allowance Scholarship, The University of Queensland, Australia;
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK);
- Scientific Advisor of <Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences>;
- Editorial board of <In Silico Pharmacology> (Springer)
- Editorial board of <Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences>;
- Guest editor of Special Issue “Gene Therapy” of <Pharmaceutics>;
- Grant reviewer of BBSRC (UK) and French National Research Agency (ANR);
- 2015 Outstanding reviewer of <International Journal of Pharmaceutics>;
- Reviewer of <Molecular Pharmaceutics>, <International Journal of Pharmaceutics>, <Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences>, <Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology>, <Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy>, <American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education>, <BMC Biotechnology>, <Journal of Biomaterial Application>, <Pharmaceutics>, <Bioconjugate Chemistry>, <BMC Biotechnology>, <Chemical Communications>, <Colloids and Surfaces B Biointerfaces>, <International Journal of Molecular Sciences>, <Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B Biology>, <Pharmaceutics>, <Chemical Physics Letter>, <Journal of Physical Chemistry Letter> <Journal of Liposome Research>, <Drug Delivery> and <Biomacromolecules> et al.;
- The Controlled Release Society (CRS)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Asian Association of Schools of Pharmacy (AASP)
- China Computer Federation (CCF)